One of the signs you can find on a good griddle is if the cooking surface is darkened and has developed a non-stick surface.
So we have here the best oil to season Blackstone griddle with.
A well-seasoned surface on any cooking appliance is great since it can give the food more flavors.
If not, the surface will at least cook the recipe you want in the right way.
There are many other benefits to a well-seasoned griddle.
You will get the real taste of the food you want to cook, and you do not have to deal with other flavors from your previous recipes.
You will also be protecting the griddle surface itself as there would be no scratches on it.
You can cook whatever you want, and the food will come out perfectly with all the flavors you want.
Seasoning a griddle is not that hard, and in fact, I have done it multiple times on many models.
Blackstone is one of the most sought-after brands when it comes to high-quality griddles.
Here, we have an example of how you can make your Blackstone griddle even better with a little seasoning.
Follow and read on as we also included a list of the best oils you can use here.
Why Season A Blackstone Griddle?
Here, we will elaborate on the benefits you can get from a well-seasoned griddle.
You can cook many things when you have a griddle that is seasoned perfectly and properly.
First, your griddle will develop a non-stick surface, which will be much easier to clean.
You do not have to deal with stuck food residuals on the cooking surface when cooking.
Since the griddle is seasoned, you can place relatively cold food on the cooking surface and not stick.
The thin layer of oil will help you get a smooth and clean surface.
Since the griddle has the oil coating, it will have a great surface protecting the material from rust and other debris.
When a griddle is well-seasoned, it will also avoid adding unpleasant flavors to the food.
You will be able to cook your recipes without worrying about the strong flavors from the recipes before.
A seasoned griddle will also last longer as it stays protected from scratches and debris.
You will clean it easily without even using water or soap to get rid of the smell and residuals.
How To Season A Griddle?
Most griddles, including Blackstone griddles, are pre-seasoned even before you order them.
This protects them from rust build-up during shipping, but that does not mean it is safe for cooking.
You will need to season the Blackstone griddle before the initial cooking to prevent contaminants from entering your food. Contaminants that gather while shipping.
What You Will Need
- A Bucket Of Water
- Powdered Soap
- Tongs Or Heat-Resistant Gloves
- Blackstone Griddle Seasoning or Conditioner
- Paper Towels
Step 1: Initial Cleaning
Although you have already seasoned the griddle, you need to ensure that you do not use it immediately.
You will need to clean it first to remove the oil and debris stuck to it.
Mix water with liquid soap or dishwashing soap, and then use a soft sponge to clean the griddle.
Do not use a rough sponge, or it will scratch the surface of the cooking area of the griddle.
Rinse the griddle with water thoroughly to ensure that the soap comes off and the oil comes with the soap.
Step 2: Preheating
Once the griddle is clean, connect it to the fuel and turn the burner on at the highest temperature.
Allow the griddle to heat up and develop a brownish color on the surface.
Once the griddle starts changing color, turn the burners off. This takes around 10 to 15 minutes, so do not let the griddle burn for too long.
Step 3: Apple The Oil
Get the conditioner or the Blackstone Seasoning and apply the oil to the griddle surface.
Remember, you do not need too much oil in this process; just a thin layer will do.
A thick layer of oil will cause chipping in the long run.
Get your paper towels and then spread the oil evenly throughout the cooking surface until you create a shiny surface on the griddle.
Step 4: Heat It Up
Turn the griddle burners on once again and then allow them to heat the entire griddle.
The sign that the oil has is burnt off with only the polymer coating remains is if the griddle smokes.
Once it does, turn off the griddle and then repeat the process of applying the oil.
If you want the griddle to have a truly non-stick surface, you will need to apply oil and burn for 2-3 more times.
After the 3rd round, you can then let the griddle cool down.
Once it does, spray a layer of oil or Blackstone Non-stick Griddle spray for the final coating and then get cooking.
How Often Should You Season A Blackstone Griddle?
There is no need for you to reseason the griddle after the initial seasoning.
However, that depends on how often you use the griddle for cooking.
If you do not use the griddle regularly, you must repeat the seasoning process at least once a week to protect the cooking surface from rust and other contaminants.
If you cook on the griddle at least twice a week, there is no need to season a blackstone griddle again.
Cooking on the griddle will naturally season the cooking surface for you.
How Long Does It Take To Season A Blackstone Griddle?
Each seasoning layer will take around 20-30 minutes, depending on the heat that the griddle can produce.
The higher the temperature, the faster the griddle will get to the smoke point.
Again, the smoke point is when the griddle reaches high heat to the point where the cooking surface starts to smoke and burn.
That is for each seasoning layer.
The whole process itself will not take a whole day.
You can finish the whole process of seasoning in just under 3 hours, depending on how often you want to apply the layers.
Top 10 Best Oils For Seasoning Blackstone Griddle
Technically, you can use any type of cooking oil that you have to season the Blackstone griddle. However, you will need one from this list if you want to have the best seasoning oil.
1. Blackstone Griddle Seasoning & Cast Iron Conditioner
The first one on the list has the most recommended seasoning formula from the company that makes the griddle itself. So we have their seasoning and conditioner.
- It is dual purpose, so you can use it with cast-iron griddles and stainless steel cookware.
- The formula protects the griddle from both wear and tear damages as well as rust.
- It is made from a great formula with a blend of beeswax, canola oil, soy oil, and more.
- It is not the most accessible seasoning formula, and you need to buy it separately.
With the initial seasoning, you will be able to make the best cooking surface for your griddle with the help of this seasoning.
You can also use it with your cast-iron grill grates and other cookware.
It is made especially for Blackstone Griddles, so if you have one, I highly recommend getting this seasoning formula to get you the best results, such as a non-stick and clean surface.
Another great thing about this seasoning formula is that it can also be used with your seasoning formula.
You can combine it with your stuff and make the griddle perfect for cooking making it one of the best oils for seasoning blackstone griddle.
2. La Espanola Olive Oil (Best Olive Oil For Seasoning)
One of the more common and more accessible types of oil that you can use to season your griddle with is olive oil.
La Espanola Olive Oil is the best brand that produces olive oil to season properly and it is one of the best oils to season your Blackstone griddle.
- It is made with fresh and organic ingredients that bring you the real flavors of olive oil.
- Aside from the non-stick surface, it also adds a very pleasant and mild flavor to the griddle.
- It has a high smoke point which means that it does not wear off easily under high temperatures.
- It is easy to find and replicate, so you need to be careful with fake olive oil brands.
This olive oil has a smoke point of 395 degrees Fahrenheit, which means your food cooks before the oil burns out.
It will also help keep the strength and durability of the griddle.
The company prioritizes fresh ingredients, so this olive oil is of the highest quality.
The oil is also cold-pressed first to ensure it stays fresh even after being stored for a long time.
Olive oil has many health benefits, so it is just another reason for getting this oil for seasoning.
Plus, it brings a zesty flavor and a pleasant bitterness to the food.
3. Happy Belly Canola Oil (Best Canola Oil For Seasoning)
Canola oil is also commonly used for seasoning griddles as it brings a more neutral flavor.
That means that it does not add any unpleasant taste to the food you are cooking.
- Light and pleasant flavor that makes the griddle perfect for cooking any recipe with many flavors.
- It has low-fat content and 0 grams of trans fat, so you stay healthy even at a high amount.
- It is a little cheaper than the other brands that you can find but has the same high quality.
- There are instances where users complain about how easily it smokes or catches fire.
It has a light taste, which means that while you get to keep all the great flavors in your food, you will not also have to worry about additional flavors coming from the oil on the griddle itself.
This oil also does not have too much fat in it, so even if you use it to fry or even if you add oil to the recipe that you are cooking, it will hardly affect the nutritional value of the food when cooked.
4. BetterBody Foods Avocado Oil
BetterBody Foods Avocado Oil is another type of oil that will bring all the nutrients and pleasant flavors to the food you cook.
Not saying that it will affect the flavor of your food, but it does add a little bit of aroma to it.
So if you want an oil that would season Blackstone griddle and at the same time give you some aroma then in your case avocado oil is one of the best oil to season Blackstone griddle.
- While this avocado oil is perfect for cooking, it also does a great job of making the griddle non-stick,
- It has a high smoke point, which will last for at least a week before wearing out.
- It is non-GMO and gluten-free, so if you are on a specific diet, this oil might help.
- Some users might prefer a thinner type of oil as this oil can sometimes be too thick as a coating.
This avocado oil is exactly what you need if you are trying to season the griddle and you need it to last for a long time.
It does have a smooth texture, so it helps with stir fry recipes.
The smoke point of this oil is 500 degrees Fahrenheit, so it will take a long time before it wears off.
It will also not create unpleasant smells when you cook that might get into the food.
5. Pompeian Grapeseed Oil
Pompeian Grapeseed oil made from the best grapes imported from France is the perfect fruity companion when cooking with your griddle.
You will have the best foods with the hint of sweetness from the oil.
I like trying to season my Blackstone griddle in oils that have a nice aroma or flavor and if you are someone who wants the same then you should go with grapeseed oil
It is one of the best oil to season Blackstone griddle and you are going to love the results.
- It seasons the griddle well with the thin layer of coating that you need and no unpleasant flavors.
- It has a high smoke point, which is perfect for stir-fry and sauteing your food.
- It has been perfected for over 100 years to get the best type of oil when you buy this.
- Some people might not like the slight hint of fruitiness, plus many buyers have had issues with the bottle.
It has the best grapes from France, so you get that amazing aroma even if it starts to smoke or burn.
It includes many vitamins and minerals that keep you healthy.
It has a thin texture, so it perfectly coats the griddle without actually overpowering the flavor on your recipes.
6. Safia 100% Sunflower Oil
Made from pure sunflower seeds, this sunflower oil is perfect for making your griddle non-stick and safe from any contamination.
It also does not have additional flavors, so it is perfect for cooking.
- Made purely from sunflower seed which means that you get what you see from the ads they have.
- It is non-GMO and of premium quality, so it will last for a long time even at high temperatures.
- This high-oleic oil is perfect for deep frying food so it also coats the griddle well.
- There are some issues about it having a sticky material to it so always check the expiry date.
This oil is perfect for cooking the best foods you have or even use it with your salads.
It can sustain high temperatures, which is perfect for using as a coating for your griddle.
At 450 degrees Fahrenheit, this sunflower oil reaches its smoke point.
7. Happy Belly Peanut Oil
Aside from it being affordable, the Happy Belly peanut oil is also perfect for seasoning your griddle.
It will give the griddle the perfect thin layer of coating to make the surface non-stick.
- It is sold in large quantities at a reasonable price so you can use this oil for a very long time.
- It has 0 grams of trans fat which means that your food stays healthy when you use this peanut oil.
- Peanut oil usually has a high smoke point and this specific brand has a smoke point of 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It is made from an ingredient that some people are allergic to so it does not fit all diets.
This peanut oil is perfect not only for seasoning the griddle but also for cooking at high temperatures.
With its high smoke point, you will be able to cook crispy crusts on your steaks.
This oil has a little bit of flavor added to it, so if you do not mind a slightly nutty flavor on your griddle, you can use it to season your griddle and get the best cooking surface.
8. BetterBody Foods Coconut Oil
We will not make the list without coconut oil as it is one of the most popular types of oil you can get for seasoning Blackstone griddle.
It is healthy and adds that aromatic smell to your food that you cannot quite get from other oils.
- It is a well-refined product which means that although it has a bit of aroma, it is generally neutral-flavored.
- It is perfect for medium heat cooking with its high smoke point and healthy content for seasoning.
- It is non-GMO and gluten-free so it will fit your diet if you have a strict one for cooking food.
- It is not the best oil for cooking as it is pretty neutral in flavor but it is perfect for seasoning.
You will get the healthiest foods by using this oil as a seasoning oil for your griddle.
It does not have an unpleasant taste or smell so you can still use other types of oil when cooking.
This refined coconut oil has a smoke point of 425 degrees Fahrenheit, which does not smoke quickly. It is the perfect substitute for butter with its healthier ingredients.
9. Crisco Shortening
Crisco shortening works in seasoning cast-iron pans and skillets.
That also means that you can use it if you season your griddle to make it better for cooking any recipe you want.
This is not my first choice when it comes to seasoning blackstone griddle but it does the job so why not!
There is a reason we included it in the best oil to season blackstone griddle and it does the job pretty darn well!
- It does not have a heavy price to buy a large one and then use it for many months.
- It is not hard to apply so you do not have to worry about seasoning your griddle with uneven oil.
- It has a high smoke point which means that it can last for a long time.
- It has trans fats so it is not the healthiest option when it comes to cooking.
This type of oil is from hydrogenated vegetables, which means that some fats are not the healthiest.
However, it will be perfect for seasoning the griddle with a thin layer of it.
It has a smoke point of 350 degrees Fahrenheit so it is quite low.
If you season the grill with this oil, make sure to wipe off thick layers of oil with paper towels to make the seasoning even.
10. Vegetable Oils
As we have mentioned, you can use almost any type of cooking oil to season your griddle. Vegetable oils are one of the most common oils used to do this.
- You get to choose from a variety of brands and vegetables used in making oil.
- Most vegetable oils are not aromatic which means that they are pretty neutral for cooking.
- Vegetable oil perfectly coats the griddle with a thin layer of oil so you get all the heat you need.
- It can sometimes add flavors to your food if you use vegetable oil with a strong taste and smell.
Vegetable oil, no matter the brand, is perfect for seasoning the griddle.
You will get a thin layer of coating on the griddle to ensure that it does not cause flare-ups when cooking.
You will also be able to cook any food you want.
That goes with vegetables, steaks, burgers, and even cheese when you use vegetable oil because of the lack of additional flavors it brings.
If you like the post then do not forget to share it on social media!